Wednesday, August 6, 2008

Food at the Venue

We get free meals at the venue during our training. Breakfast is provided if you arrive before 8:30am and I haven't had a chance to try that out yet. Lunch is from 11am-2pm and if we have evening shifts, we can eat dinner at the venue as well.

We started training a few days before the Chinese volunteers joined us. Back then, we had a buffet style lunch. There were about 10 family style dishes to choose from and I think most of them tasted really good.

I still remember how many of my classmates got a dish they thought was "cucumber and beef stir-fry" and it turned out to be "cucumber and pig's liver stir-fry" It did look a bit like beef, so I don't blame them. But they were really shocked when they put a piece of liver in their mouths. Now, I get quite a few inquiries about the dishes that we get, making sure they don't put weird stuff in their mouths.


As the Chinese volunteers came, we switched over to microwavable lunch boxes (like TV dinners).
Since there are so many volunteers at the National Indoor Stadium, each department get assigned a different time to go to lunch.

There are seven dishes in each set, usually half meat and have vegetables. Then, we also get a bottle of water, rice, soup and a fruit.
I think the dishes are alright, and out of the seven, I can usually pick two to three that I find okay.
Actually, the lunch in the picture was my least favorite since we start having these kind of lunches.
One of the slogans for this Olympics is "Green Olympics" and I'm really impressed by the recycling system at the venue. After every meal, we have to dispose our trash into three different bins. The smaller bins with yellow bags are for "food waste" and so we dump our left overs inside. Then the taller ones with black bags are for "other waste" which are things like the plastic lunch boxes and spoons. On the far left, there are blue bins (which are barely in the picture) for "recyclable waste" such as our water bottles.

1 comment:

Eileen A said...

Thanks for covering the recycling aspect of the Olympics, Lynette. It's not pretty, but very impressive. The US could certainly takes some notes in this area.