Tuesday, August 19, 2008

Day 49 - I May Look Asian...


Hey Everyone!

So I've been meaning to talk about something that's been quite the talk with my friends.  I'm Asian...no that's not it - but rather I don't speak Chinese.  All of the Chinese people I talk to say they first thought I was Chinese when they saw me.  I guess I can understand that because of my appearance.  I tell them I was born in Korea but was adopted to parents in the U.S.  It's very common for me to be waiting at the subway or walking around on the Green and having someone walk up to me speaking Chinese.  I shake my hand and say "Sorry!  English!"  The light bulb goes on in their head because the look on their face is priceless: first it's shocked, then it's embarrassed.  They laugh and back away.  It's pretty funny.  In fact, it happened 30 times today - we counted.  Jokingly, I asked one of my Chinese friends to make a sign that reads "I do not speak Chinese".  I put two holes in the paper so it can hang from my lanyard, but I haven't worn it around yet.  It's been the center of funny conversation, but I wish I could speak the language fluently.  I feel stuck in the middle between being Caucasian and Asian.  I've grown up in the U.S. all my life, but as corny as it sounds, I feel a connection with the people here - maybe because they look like me.  I don't know, but it's been great being here.

Ted

1 comment:

Eileen A said...

Just what we were hoping for you Ted - the connection we mean. Love you,
Mom and Dad