Friday, August 8, 2008

8 hours and counting!

I woke up this morning and couldn't believe my eyes-- my computer and cell phone both say: 08.08.08! It's finally here!

Yesterday, I spent several hours around the Olympic Green searching for the best spot to watch the Opening Ceremony. I think I found it, but can't get a definite answer whether I can stand there or not.

I was hanging around the Water Cube, in front of the Athlete Village when I heard familiar voices. NBC Nightly News' Kevin Tibbles and Today Show contributor Dr. Nancy Schneiderman. I had a momentary memory lapse and had to call Ted to make sure I was right on Kevin's name! I was wearing my University of Missouri shirt, so Dr. Schneiderman came right over and started chatting. I was able to get a picture with Kevin...which made my day. We chatted for a few minutes, but the NBC crew was leaving for their headquarters in a nearby convention center.

I also witnessed something being hauled onto the Bird's Nest. I'm not sure what it is, but it could be the torch. I'll admit it's kind of small, but it is connected to the only large pipe running up the side of the stadium, which I figure to be the gas line. We'll find out for sure tonight!

I'm off to the Green. I plan on finding a great spot with my friends from Missouri to watch the torch lighting and the much-anticipated fireworks!!

Enjoy the opening tomorrow night!!

Mark

1 comment:

Darlene said...

I would like to thank you and all the rest for this blog. I have truly enjoyed reading all of your posts and love the pictures . I would love to be there to cheer on the USA and to see the buildings ( i watched the making of the nest and the bubble building that houses the pool, so cool.) Have a wonderful time and i look forward to all of your behind the scenes insight .

God Bless You All , Darlene