Tuesday, July 1, 2008

Going over the Pole



Hello Everyone!

Just a really neat fact I discovered while researching our flight.  While it may seem easier to travel west to China than east over the Atlantic, the real shortcut is somewhat of a geometric trick.  I guess we're just used to thinking in 3-D terms and seeing a flat 2-D map of the world.  Our United flight will take us NORTH over the North Pole - the shortest distance to Beijing.  I am really excited to experience this!  I have never been so far north before and the idea every direction is south (once we're directly over the North Pole) will be a fun experience.  In the picture the yellow circle represents 70 degrees north latitude.

We'll also be taking a Boeing-747.  I love to fly and can't wait to check out the large cabin.  I believe I have a window seat (K - I believe it's 3-5-3 seating order across).  Will check in at the airport!

Ted

No comments: