Wednesday, August 13, 2008

Going for Gold!

Tonight, fate intervened in my life.

Tonight, I decided I wanted to go watch Swimming at the Water Cube, but accidentally ran into Brian William's assistant instead. I explained that I report for KOMU (an NBC affiliate) and asked her if she could get me a ticket to the Today Show. She had one in her hand and told me I could have it and to have fun. It just so happened other Mizzou students were there, so I met up with Sarah and Paige and we waited for almost two hours for the show to start.

I wanted to share one experience that I had at the Today Show this evening, but first a bit of background. I went to South Mecklenburg High School in Charlotte, N.C. At the time, my high school had an outstanding swimmer. His name was Ricky Berens. Everyone in Charlotte knows Ricky's name, he's a great guy and has an amazing reputation as a swimmer. Anyways, Ricky graduated the year after me and I found out he went to U-Texas at Austin and pursued swimming.

Well today, Ricky and the Team USA 200-meter freestyle relay team set a World Record and won Gold Medals at the Water Cube. I was working at the Field Hockey venue and had a chance to catch a glimpse of the race...needless to say, I was screaming at the screen! The Chinese people around me thought I was crazy for yelling that "I know him! I went to high school with him! I know his sister too!"

I can't explain how excited I am for Ricky and his family!

Well, if you watched the Today Show this morning, you saw Matt Lauer interview Ricky. I couldn't believe, of all days, I was there the day Ricky was interviewed! As soon as he appeared on the set, I wasn't sure if I would say hi since it's been almost 4 years since I last saw him. I decided to go and say hi, even if I would awkwardly explain that we went to high school, in case he didn't recognize me. As I walked over to the set, Team USA supporters chanted his name, took pictures and requested autographs. When I managed to get over to his area, I yelled out "RICKY!". Luckily, and to my relief, he remembered me. Not only did he recognize me, he knew who I was! He came over and I congratulated him over and over again, and said how proud I am to say I know him. We chatted for a bit, and I answered "So what exactly are you doing in Beijing?"

After his interview with Matt, Ricky came over one more time and I asked to take a picture with him. You can see the picture above. What you can't see is what happened moments before that picture was taken. Ricky let me HOLD HIS GOLD MEDAL!! I can't even describe how awesome it was! I couldn't believe I had an Olympic Gold Medal in my hands! (Although it was still attached to his neck!) It wasn't too heavy, was embossed with the Olympic logo and had jade set in the other side. It was so awesome, I can't say it enough.

If you couldn't tell, I'm still excited about my adventure over to the Olympic Green today. There are tons of more stories to share, but this is the story about one event that will stick with me for the rest of my life.

I could've decided to stay home and watch events on TV; I could've bought a ticket for the Water Cube; I could've walked past Brian Williams' assistant...but instead, fate intervened.

Mark

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hi guys, My name is Ivy.
I'm a Chinese girl and I'm a sophomore in Ning University of Aeronautics and Astronautics(NUAA).
I like ur college very much and I want to apply for a graduate student two years later.
It's great to konw that there are such a lot of Missour students here in my country. If you have enough time, welcome to the south of China.
Nanjing is a great city belongs to Jiangsu Province and next to Shanghai, and I'm glad to be your guide:).
Ihis is my phone number,13815870302
and my email: geng.ivy@hotmail.com
During u stay in China, u can contact me.
Best wishes. Waiting for ur message.:)

Anonymous said...

Sorry for my misspelled error.
My college is Nanjing University of Aeronautics and Astronautics:)