Sunday, August 17, 2008

Day 48- An Olympic Dream Come True

Today I went two hours northeast of Beijing to the Shunyi Olympic Rowing-Canoeing Park. The bus ride was long, but I met some fun Canadians along the way.

I'm born and raised in Montreal, but haven't managed to meet any "Montrealais" yet. All have been from Toronto and Calgary.

There were several events at the rowing park today, most included either Team USA or Team Canada. Both teams did very, very well! Each picked up at least two medals at today's rowing events.

The Canadian 8-man rowing team was favored to win Gold, so the Canadian section was excited to see the event. The American 8-woman rowing team was favored to win Gold as well. Canadians in particular had been excited for this event because we didn't have ANY medals before Saturday rolled around!

At the venue, I met some Canadians from Toronto. They were really nice and we all flew our Canadian flags when the teams rowed by us. We were in a larger group of fans from Great Britain. Unfortunately, there weren't any fans in our section from the USA, or many on our side of the stadium for that matter!

Team Canada's men scullers took off and had a great lead time. They were almost a full 3/4 boat length ahead of the American team. Great Britain was coming in a close second, but Canada stayed strong. All of the fans were cheering so loud. As the teams got closer to the finish line, the Americans got a second wind and hauled full-speed ahead. We all had our eyes glued to the scoreboard and television monitors. Canadians were in a similar position in Athens, but lost any medal hopes in the last seconds.

The race finished. In the distance, the Union Jack, the Stars and Stripes and the Maple Leaf were all being waved back and forth. We knew which teams were going to get medals, but who was first? Who pulled it off? Then silence. The time was flashed up on the scoreboard. "Team Canada: 5:23:89"...

...then a ROAR from the Canadian cheering section. GOLD FOR CANADA!!!

It was a surreal and unique moment for each of us. Although some were in their 60's and some as young 6 years old, none of us had ever witnessed our country win a Gold medal! It was so exciting... I can't imagine what it's like for the Rowers!!!

We decided to head towards the flag poles and medal podiums. We had to see the ceremonies up close! We waited for almost 30 minutes, but our time came.

In Women's 8-person rowing, the Americans won Gold! I sang the US anthem, but got confused with some verses. It was actually the first time I had tried singing it. (An it was at an Olympic Event!)

Earlier in the day, Great Britain won a Gold, so I also was able to sing "God Save the Queen." Some lady saw me sing all three and asked how many more anthems I knew... I laughed and told her those were the only three I knew. I lucked out!!!

After the American anthem, the stage was all for Canada! We were so excited for the moment we could all sing "Oh Canada!" The medals for the men's event were awarded and the flags were brought out. The music started and we all burst out in song! It will be one of the most memorable moments in my life. It was on my "bucket list." I always wanted to sing the Canadian National Anthem at an Olympic event. I got my chance. That is what the Olympics are all about! Making dreams come true.

I highly suggest you all try it sometime. WOW! Still excited about it!

USA is ranked 1st for medals. Total: 65; Gold: 19; Silver: 21; Bronze: 25. WAY TO GO TEAM USA!!!!

Canada is ranked 17th for medals. Total: 7; Gold: 2, Silver: 1; Bronze:4.

Mark

No comments: