Saturday, August 16, 2008

Day 46 - Pin Culture

Hey Everyone!

Today was probably the most perfect day outside since we arrived.  It had rained for almost two days straight, but we were rewarded with a sunny Friday.  Sarah did a great job describing what a lot of us having been going through these past few days.  I can't believe I've been a part of this enormous story.  It never really hits me until I'm sitting in the stands.  I'll be watching the big screen television and then realize it's happening LIVE right in front of me!  I usually watch it at home religiously (I used 16 VHS tapes in 2006!) and now, it's an entirely new experience.

Speaking of experiences: today, we went around the Green and ventured north to the super store.  It is HUGE!  You name it, they have it and more.  THOUSANDS of pins to buy!  For the most part, people want to trade the Missouri pins, but sometimes, they just don't like it.  It happens most to non-Chinese people.  Some people will physically try and take your pin from your lanyard!  It's so fun to try and trade with people...you start to only look chest-level and ignore people's faces.  We have entire strategies to get pins and it's always fun to see what new pins people got throughout the day.  The most sought after ones: a Samsung pin that has a phone on it that actually slides open and closed.  NBC pins are extremely valuable, too!  It's an entire culture during the Olympics - and you have to learn the language if you want to collect!  Check out some pins on my lanyard in the picture!

Ted

1 comment:

Eileen A said...

I'm so glad you mentioned the pins. I remember when we all went to Atlanta in '96 what a big deal that was. Even if you weren't that interested in pins, you got caught up in collecting and trading. Didn't know there was a strategy, but like everything else, why wouldn't there be?