Thursday, July 17, 2008

Five days until training begins.

After two days of training with BOCOG, I now have a bit of time off.

I will be working at the site of the Ming Dynasty Tombs for the Triathlon, 45 minutes north of Beijing. Unfortunately, the Triathlon only lasts two days during the second week of the Olympic Games, so I will most likely be placed in another venue for the first week of the Games. (I was told either Archery or Field Hockey, both sport I know nothing about, but am eager to learn more!)

I tell you this because I need to be issued extra clearance to get into more venues, which means I don't have my accreditation pass yet :( I've been looking forward to receiving it since we got here, but will have to wait almost another week to get it!

I have a five day weekend before heading back to training on Tuesday. As odd as this sounds, I would prefer to be working as hard as the Gymnastics FQR's who will be working from now until the games (and spending time on the Olympic Green!).

On that note, I haven't been able to get on the Olympic Green yet, and I'm wondering if I ever will! It seems like the security will be extra-tight this year, and that means a lock-down on the green. I will have clearance to get into the shuttle-bus area of the green, with high hopes of getting closer to the Bird's Nest and the Watercube!

I will try to explore the city over the next five days. I have the subway system down, getting used to the bus system, and am an expert at taxis! The city is awaiting the opening of three more subway lines. They were due to open earlier this year, but have been kept closed for unspecified reason. One of those stations is a block north of our hotel, once it opens--it will save us all a ton of time! We ride free with our Olympic accreditation passes!

That's all for now,

Mark


P.S. I'm feeling MUCH better now :)

No comments: