Tuesday, July 8, 2008

Day 8 - Reality "The Price is Right"

Hey Everyone!

Tuesday morning we had our final class: The History of Chinese Media.  Not only did we learn about the evolution of newspaper and television outlets, but we also got an inside look at Chinese morality issues.  For example, we learned that after a deadly bus accident in 2006, a newspaper asked its subscribers to text in how many people they thought died by providing answers in a multiple choice format.  What ethical implications does that have?  In a separate incident, large holes in the streets were a big problem.  One photojournalist decided to sit by one of the holes with a camera and wait for a bicyclist to crash into it.  We saw the frozen photos of the bicyclist flying through the air as he hit the pothole.  The photojournalist got the shot, but was it right?  It was interesting to hear the Chinese perspective on these issues.

Later that day, I teamed up with some friends to go to the Pearl Market, a place where you can find anything from digital cameras to fake designer purses.  The minute I walked into the building I knew it was going to be interesting.  Everyone was doing their own garage sale.  Booth after booth of colorful clothes lined the halls.  I waited for my friends as they went to the bathroom.  Immediately workers swooped in to try to get me to buy something.  One woman wanted me to buy an Olympic t-shirt.  "You're a nice guy, so I'll sell you this for 40 yuan! (about $6).  I was totally not interested and said no thanks.  "30 yuan!"  I told her I was just waiting for my friends and I wanted to look around.  "20 yuan!"  This time I noticed her hand was digging into my arm holding me in front of her booth.  Luckily, my friends arrived and I was able to break free.  The woman looked like she was going to cry - but it was all a carefully choreographed act.  I decided two could play this game.  

I wanted to buy a purse for a friend so I walked up to a vendor.  "You're a nice guy so I'll give you this for only 650 yuan."  I said I wanted it for 60.  She gave me a 'You're crazy' look and lowered the price to 500.  After some haggling, the price for the purse lowered to 200 but I wouldn't budge and decided I didn't really want it and started walking away.  "100!" the lady yelled.  "90" I firmly yelled back.  Exasperated, she finally gave in and we completed the transaction.  Later I bought a windbreaker.  Asking price 1200 yuan.  I bought it for 150.  One vendor who was selling the same item asked me how much I paid for the coat -  about to give me a 'I could have sold it to you cheaper' spiel.  I told her and she gave me a shocked look and said "Good purchase".  With that, she left me alone.  I left feeling proud of my performance.  Although I bought the purse for little over 10% of the original, I realize I probably got cheated.  However, I had a lot of fun playing the bartering game.

Ted

2 comments:

Eileen A said...

Hey, Ted, I'm proud of your bargaining skills! It's fun, isn't it? Eileen A

Unknown said...

Hi Ted!
Sharon Piper asked me to tell you that she is truly enjoying your blogs; she seems to be having trouble working out access to the comments section. Maybe you could email her and let her know suggestions other than creating a gmail account.
Michael Engle