Monday, July 7, 2008

Day 6 - A Religious Take on China

Hey Everyone!

Sunday was our day off...and thank goodness!  It's been such a whirlwind tour of China I've felt like I've been running on caffeine these past few days.  Four of us got up early to take a taxi to the south side of China to the Southern Cathedral.  Our taxi driver got lost and he had to ask someone for help!  There was a small courtyard outside of the church where people were mingling.  Inside, the congregation consisted of three-fourths Chinese and one-fourth Caucasian - something I found interesting at the English Mass.  

Also known as St. Mary's Church, this church was the first Catholic church to be built in Beijing.  Matteo Ricci was the first Jesuit missionary in Beijing and the church now sits on his former residence.  Ricci became friends with the emperor by giving him European gifts.  He founded the first church in 1605.  Later, the current building was erected much later in 1904 after a costly fire.

The service itself was very interesting.  I couldn't believe how similar the layout of everything was - just like home!  You would have sworn it was just another church in a different state back home in America.  We even sang some of the same songs we do back home.  However, there were a few differences.  The readings were done in both English and French and they incensed everything throughout the Mass.  I remember thinking how universal the Church is - on a global level - because of how similar the service was and the different faces I saw as we gave the sign of peace.  It was a wonderful experience!  After lunch, we ate at a really nice hotel where two musicians came around to our table and sang us a song on their guitars - I was told it was the theme song for a very famous Chinese soap opera.

Later that day, some friends and I took a trip to one of the biggest shopping areas in town.  We had to take a bus and three subway cars to get there, but it was well worth it.  I would describe the main strip as a very modern China.  The Olympic spirit was definitely there with hanging banners and official Olympic stores.  Huge LCD screens spanned entire sides of buildings right next to larger-than-life advertisements.  A back alley caught our eye and we went to investigate.  Lynette told me it was the "snack" area, and I got really excited.

We finally saw it...what I had been expecting since I arrived.  The alleyway was adorned with shops selling everything from starfish to silkworms to scorpions still moving on a skewer stick.  

The smells were incredible and the sights were even more interesting.  I didn't have the courage to try anything though!






Here's a video of part of the Chinese Catholic service.  Next is a sample of the singing musicians that serenaded us over lunch.  Matt explains one of Beijing's mass transit systems: the subway and I take a back alley look at some of the more diverse Chinese cuisine.

Ted

No comments: