Tuesday, July 29, 2008

Day 28 [10 Days To Go] - Authentic China

Hey Everyone!

The second shift of volunteers worked today which meant I had the day off. I had been waiting for a day where I could just catch up with odds and ends. I spent the day writing emails and taking care of "housekeeping" jobs like laundry. I hand-washed my uniform (in the sink) because some people said it would not be a good idea to take it to the cleaners.

In the evening, I went out with Lynette and some of the Chinese volunteers from the NIS. We left the main street in front of our university and traveled down some backstreets. It felt like I was in a different part of China. Vendors were selling fruit on the streets and kids were playing in parks. We ate at a restaurant called "2.2". Ordering family-style, we ate tofu, chicken and a fish soup that I wasn't too thrilled about. It all came to about 25 yuan a piece - that's about $3! I talked with the Chinese students about all sorts of things like what they thought of Barack Obama and their opinion of the food at NIS. They all liked Obama and were interested to see what my opinions were. The food at the NIS didn't sit well with them. They said it was pretty bad, and I would have to agree. Hearing them say the food wasn't good made me feel a little better. It was another dive into Chinese culture and cuisine!

Ted

1 comment:

Eileen A said...

Despite the fish soup, these back alley restaurants experienced with Chinese students will make this an unforgetable experience. Glad your taking advantage of this opportunity.