Wednesday, July 23, 2008

Day 23 - A Major Headache...

...Literally.

Hey Everyone!

Last night was probably the worst night I've had in Beijing.  For some reason, I just couldn't get to sleep.  I've been having headaches the past two days, but this morning, I was aching all over.  I almost didn't get out of bed.  I'm not sure if it's the way I'm sleeping, lack of sleep or stress (most possible case), but it hit me hard.  I got ready and dragged along to work this morning.  I felt okay during work.  We participated in two emergency evacuation sequences which involved the entire volunteer staff - I'd estimate about 1,000 of us - going up to the highest seats in the stadium.  We were then released and had to walk to an exit.  I'm guessing this is to see how the traffic flow works during a mass exodus.  It was interesting.


Ying Yao, the ONS manager, took us on a tour of the Olympic Green in the afternoon.  We got to see the north side lake.  As we were leaving the area, music began to play and water started shooting out of the lake.  Our shock turned to amazement as we realized it was the hourly water show.  Cameras immediately whipped out.  We also saw the IT building in charge of computer operations.  Appropriately enough, it was shaped like computer chips.  At night, green lines run down the side of the building like the Matrix.  Tease for photos to come?

A scavenger hunt was next on the agenda.  We met with a whole bunch of ONS people and photo assistants.  It was the first time the Americans worked with the Chinese on a team-building activity.  We had to run around the stadium and find weird items like how many lockers were in the Press Workroom.  It was fun working with our Chinese counterparts.  The winning team (not me) was instructed to get up in front of all 200 of us and give a brief speech on how they felt about winning.  It was hilarious and touching at the same time.  Matt and Danielle, both from our group, seemed awkward and we all got a good laugh out of that.  One Chinese girl said it was a miracle the team won because she does not have a lot of confidence and she will remember this day forever.

I left work with a headache and ate in the bistro downstairs.  Right now, I feel bad, but I think sleeping will help because I feel really tired.  Hopefully tomorrow, the headache will be gone.

Take a look at the buses we have to take to get on the Olympic Green.  NO personal space.  Also, here's a sample of the Olympic Green water show.

Ted

2 comments:

Dana said...

Is that...a fanny pack?

Eileen A said...

Well, despite the fact that you feel lousy, you still have a smile on your face and seem like you're enjoying yourself. Good for you and hope you feel better by the time you read this. Love, mom