Wednesday, July 2, 2008

Day 1 - Jumping Time Zones

Six hours into the flight I find myself listening to the "Olympic Fanfare" in my iPod.  I'm nervous and excited at the same time - mostly nervous because I do not know what it is going to be like as soon as I step off the plane in Beijing.  The 747 is equipped with monitors that tell us everything from how many miles we've traveled so far to how cold it is outside.  A map in real-time shows us where we are.  Currently, we're traveling over the North Pole.  Out the window I can see huge ice sheets in a clear, white environment.  I have to admit I was nervous about spending 12 hours confined to my seat, but it's been good.  The food is nothing to write home about.  (but I guess I'm doing that now)  It feels like every time I finish food or drink, the flight attendants are coming around with more.  The other students are spread throughout the plane, but we occasionally get to talk in passing.

My bag at check-in was three pounds over the weight limit!  Frantically, I grabbed a bag of electronics from the suitcase and weighted the remaining bag - 50.0 pounds - just the right weight.
We drove by bus to our hotel.  Traffic in Beijing is CRAZY!  Our bus missed the exit off the freeway and STOPPED on the freeway and BACKED UP!  Cars don't use turn signals and just slip in where there is the smallest room.  Our bus was literally inches from other cars as they butted in.
We checked into our hotel and walked around campus to find the diner.  The campus is nice - lots of people are exercising (running around a track, playing basketball) and there are a lot of buildings around the area.  Surprisingly, the campus and downtown area have many parks and trees.  It was very humid today but the pollution is NOT as bad as I thought...at least right now.  A couple of minutes ago our power went out on the entire floor.  We were all in the dark for about 10 minutes, but things are back up and running!  Quite an interesting first day!





Ted

No comments: