Sunday, July 20, 2008

Checking out some of the venues




As Sunday marked one of our last free days before the games begin, I decided I would take the 50 minute subway route through three transfer stations to the Wukesong Baseball Field. I couldn't get super close so as for the field conditions, I have no opinion. The venue itself however doesn't look like much. While I was delighted to finally see something that resembles baseball in China (I haven't seen anything at all), I was a little let down on the venue itself. Athletics has the super cool Birds Nest and the Water Cube and Worker's Stadium, but Wukesong Baseball field looks like a high school field on steroids. I guess I can see why the Beijing Games will mark baseball's last hurray at the Olympics.

Also on a baseball note, it's too bad the US National team wasn't looking for at least a few more right handed pitchers. The crop to pick from this season was pretty weak according to a Baseball America podcast. The team included one college player in San Diego State's Stephen Strasburg passing on Missouri's Kyle Gibson. Currently the team has one open spot so the chance to see another Mizzou athlete in Beijing is still a possibility.

I also took some time to check out the basketball arena. It looks as if it has bamboo around it. Pretty interesting looking. I tried to get as close as I could to the venue, but guards and a fence kept me from getting closer. From what I have heard from many of the locals, they are anticipating the first game USA plays against China. It should be interesting. I believe it is August 10.

No comments: