Monday, June 30, 2008

Beijing Bound

I am absolutely thrilled to be working as a flash quotes reporter, interviewing gymnasts, for the Olympic News Service. As a young girl, Shannon Miller was my idol. When I was just two-years old, my mother put me in gymnastic classes. I loved gymnastics, and I looked forward to class every week! When I was in the sixth grade, a new gymnastics coach was moving to town. He was a former coach to Shannon Miller! I couldn’t believe it!

Coach Kenny turned me into a great gymnast. I never really took off until he got a hold of me! He was strict, sharp, and scary at times, but Kenny cared about his gymnasts more than anything. He had a passion for coaching gymnastics, and you could see it in his eyes.

When I was in high school, I decided to switch from gymnastics to cheerleading. I firmly believe my gymnastic skills were the reason I made high school cheerleader. My cheerleading days were incredible! We won state 4 years in a row, and placed fourth at nationals!

Having the opportunity to work for the 2008 Summer Olympic Games is a dream come true! I had the incredible opportunity of working as an intern for NBC Universal last summer. NBC has an Olympic hallway, and I loved walking down that hallway everyday. Now, to actually be working for the Olympic Games is such an incredible feeling I cannot even express it in words or writing.

Working in the National Indoor Stadium, also known as the “Bird’s Nest,” will be an amazing opportunity as well. The stadium has 80,000 seats – the architectural centerpiece of the Olympic Games – and it’s known as the “Bird’s Nest” for its distinct appearance. Being an architect’s daughter, I just can’t wait to see this stadium!

As a journalism student graduating in August, I know this opportunity will be amazing! Shannon Miller once said, “Love what you do, do what you love.” I love journalism. I love everything about this industry. I know this trip will help me grow as a person and as a young journalist. Every student traveling to Beijing will experience a new country and culture. This is a once-in-a-lifetime opportunity that I will never forget!

Sarah French

4 comments:

dbrimer said...

Congratulations Sarah! I knew you'd make it Beijing! Special Olympics was just there last fall, here you are! I'll be anxious to see your blogs!
Diane Brimer, Special Olympics Missouri

nancyk said...

Loved your article, Sarah! Will look forward to checking out your blog! Your Arkansas "family" is busting with pride...Have fun, enjoy, learn~
Love and God Bless,
Nancy Koonce

ABCmommy said...

Wonderfully written Sarah! You seem not only to be having a great time, but also have so much to identify with: the gymnasts and the architecture. You;re right, this really is an amazing experience that you will cherish always. Take care of yourself!~Leisha

Unknown said...

I am so proud of my little cousin and all you have accomplished! I can't wait to hear of your adventures in person! Have an amazing time! I love you!!!

Angela Zakin